Friday, September 28, 2007

Has to Learn the Hard Way

It seems to me that my son has to learn the hard way on many things. I can tell him over and over not to do something, but he won't stop until he actually gets hurt. Examples? Oh, where do I start.

ET loves to run. Even when we are on concrete, going downhill, he will run. "ET, don't run or you could fall and get hurt." (In one ear and out the other.) "ET, please don't run on the sidewalk." (Still no response.) "ET, please stop. You could get hurt." (The front edge of his shoe catches and down he goes. Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensue.) ET says, "Mommy, you let me fall and get hurt."

At that point I sometimes can't figure out which emotion I am supposed to have. Do I get angry he didn't listen, cry with him, or laugh at his ridiculous conclusion that it is somehow my fault? No, I am not that callous. I usually pull him close and comfort him. I then gently and quietly tell him that it was for precisely that reason I asked him not to run downhill on the sidewalk. I tell him that he should listen the next time I tell him to stop.
(ET nods and lets me console him.)

Five days later, we get to do almost the same sequence all over again.

No comments: