Monday, March 25, 2013

Normally, Virginia has a wonderfully mild end to March.  We've had the threats of snowfall the last several weeks, but narrowly escaped any real accumulation.  So it is strange, during spring break for my kids, to type this as there is already 1 1/2 inches of snow on the ground and up to 4 more inches on the way.

I know that doesn't seem like much, especially growing up in Wyoming and Utah, but they lack the plows and equipment to deal with it here.  They also don't know how to deal with it effeciently.  Add into that all the international drivers that work at the embassies in the area and this place can be an ugly mess.

I can't tell you the number of times we've instructed people on how to use 1st and 2nd gear on their cars and how they're shocked that you can't just punch the gas to get out of a slippery situation.

We'll see what today brings as I head over to the Ophthamologist today for my check up.  To think that it has almost been a year since I became un-blind.  And before correction, I was legally blind.  So the next time I see you, I may actually be able to see you. :)  Hopefully, the munchkins will be cooperative at the appointment.  No, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

When we go places poor Colby gets secured into his stroller so much still because of his food allergies that he is beginning to hate the thing.  And it doesn't look like he'll be outgrowing them any time soon.  Graded in classes from 1-6, his egg and milk allergies are now at a 5 and most of his nut allergies are at a 3 or 4.  It is hard to find new food that he can and will eat.  I am hesitantly looking through vegan cookbooks to find things to feed him.  We're also experimenting a lot with adapting recipes for him. 

Maya's allergies on the other had, are a little more stable in their levels.  She's still allergic to nuts, but not nearly as severly as Colby.  We are still very careful at avoiding contact with nuts, which I'm sure is  a slight headache for her teacher.  Maya is enjoying school.  I think she would love it if it weren't for the one boy who likes to antagonize her.  And unfortunately, since he is another of the nut allergy kids, she's stuck with him.  Still, she is picking up a bit of Spanish already.  Soon she and Ethan will be having conversations behind my back and I'll only be able to understand about half of what they say.  I guess I should get studying.

Ethan is maturing quickly.  He is now a bear in cub scouts and loves to go to all the activities.  He's discovering quickly that if he wants awards, he will need to get a move on things.  He has recently developed a love for magic tricks and pretending to be a spy.  So his Christmas spy kit from his aunt and uncle couldn't have been more perfect.  Last night, he was using some spy camera glasses to take still pictures that he plans to string together to make a movie.  He even made up scraps of paper to form the closing credits. 

For now, I need to close.  I need to get the kids up if I'm to get to my appointment on time.  Who knows when I'll post again?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hurray for the update!!!We love you guys and miss you!!